Going green is growing in popularity everywhere, but what exactly is it? “Going green” is any change toward a more eco-friendly lifestyle that works toward sustaining Earth’s resources. This can mean anything from converting your house to solar power, to turning off the lights whenever you leave the house. Every little bit that can be done to lower waste products and emissions helps keep our Earth healthy, as well as save money.
The Easiest Ways to Go Green
- Unplug chargers – Phone and computer chargers use some energy when they are plugged in, even if they are not charging anything. Unplugging them not only saves energy, but also saves you money on your energy bill.
- Turn off the lights – Make sure to turn off the lights, computers, and TVs when you leave the house. Leaving the lights on is an unnecessary waste of electricity. If you are concerned about having lights on at night when you are away, put them on a timer so they are not left on all the time.
- Recycle – Check with your local recycling plant to see what plastics they are able to accept, and recycle paper products as well.
- Adjust the Heat/AC – Changing the temperature on your thermostat a few degrees – lower in the winter, higher in the summer – can help save on your yearly energy expenditure.
- Fill the washer – Do full loads of laundry instead of small ones. This means fewer loads and saving both energy and water.
- Line dry – Using an outdoor clothesline during nice weather, or a drying rack inside, saves a lot of electricity by eliminating the use of a dryer.
- Tap Water – Bottled water produces an enormous amount of plastic waste every year, and is also very expensive. Installing a filter on your tap and using a BPA-free reusable water bottle saves money and reduces pollution.
- Reuse and repurpose – Instead of throwing out old household items, try to find a new use for them. Look for secondhand items when redecorating your home.
- Change light bulbs – Use fluorescent light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs.
- Borrow, don’t buy – Use the public library to borrow book and movies, instead of buying your own.
Cost Saving Benefits
Practicing more energy efficient habits provides savings in more ways than one. You will save resources, such as water and electricity. Using fewer resources will in turn lower utility bills. You can also end up saving money by taking advantage of energy saving tax credits. A few dollars every month on different bills can really add up. Plus, when it’s this easy, why wouldn’t you go green?
At Georgia Pro Inspection Company we serve all of Metro Atlanta with reliable home inspection services. We perform detailed home inspections and provide easy to read information with illustrated reports regarding your home. Call us today at (770) 655-0536 for your more information.